Friday, February 1, 2013

Miser, pinchpenny and stingy: Part 2


He is no doubt a hard worker and saves a lot, plans ahead and grows. After ferrying goods to City Market for two years or so, he decided to shift gears and venture into the crazy Matatu world. He bought his first Matatu and assumed the role of a driver. He didn't stop there; worked even harder and got a second one…continued working hard till he owned a fleet of around 10 Matatus. By then, the fellow was getting richer by the day. At least he improved his eating habits.

He later ventured into stocks big time, and a bit of real estate. Actually as we speak he owns several flats in Ruaka and elsewhere. He is now filthy rich but as you may guess correctly he’s still very stingy.

Someday a few years ago, I went for a house warming party for a close relative and I found him there. We enjoyed goat meat while I kept a distance from him. Just before he left he called me aside and told me that the Premio I was driving was his dream car. In his words he said it looks like a Merc. Strange man this is; you see he drives that AE 91 despite being a multi-millionaire. I couldn't help but laugh but knowing this man, I knew he was serious.

This guy does not even have a wife and kids; wait, he had a wife and a son back then but I always suspect his stinginess drove her away. I also know how badly his brothers are doing but let us not venture there. You see there are those brothers you have and you are so determined to help but they are beyond help…a story for another day. It makes me wonder because all this wealth he has and does not seem to enjoy is vanity. You see there are vultures circling around as soon as you depart to your maker and what you never did with your money, they’ll do it. They will ride the big cars, go on holiday and live largest with your hard earned money; after all they don’t know the pain you underwent when making the money.

You know majority of us underestimate the power of giving and being charitable whichever your faith…a universal concept that applies across board. Giving freely creates space to receive more. And the biblical wise man, he who wrote the Psalms and Proverbs advised us:

Proverbs 11:24-25: “One person gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty. A generous person will prosper; and whoever refreshes others will be refreshed”.

If I had all the wealth in this world and I have this brother of mine in need and I never helped him, what sort of happiness do I derive from that money? When we land in Heaven, you might be asked very simple questions; you found this guy who was hungry, did you give him food? I was naked, did you clothe me?

And my favourite verse Luke 6: 38: “Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

In this blog we are educating people in the spirit of giving. We endeavour to be very practical. Next, we shall venture into the construction underworld…if you have ever constructed you might flash back and relate with the posts; if you are about to construct you might learn a thing or two...but one thing is for sure; this underworld is not for the faint hearted. They once conned me in Rongai as I bought timber...poor me but I learnt my lessons the hard way. God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment