Friday, May 17, 2013

Know what you know, what you don't know and who knows what you don't



Njoki has a very sweet tongue and someone once said this: “By a sweet tongue and kindness, you can drag an elephant with a hair” She is the one who convinced my partner and I to buy our very first plots actually adjacent to each other. Those plots were in the bush somewhere because I remember when we went to view them, we even saw some zebras and antelopes; trust Njoki to sell you anything. Roll over the year and her sweet story about how the place was to be in 5 years ringed true. Nowadays the place is quite prime.

What caught my eye about Njoki is her grasp for issues plots and the larger vision she seemed to clearly understand about their company. Talk about an ideal employee. When we bought those plots, we never had any idea that we will ever get involved in a real estate business. You see that time I was a member of a certain Sacco that was brought to its knees by some unscrupulous officials and I terminated my membership. My biggest problem that time was what I was to do with the cash in my budget which was earmarked for the Sacco’s monthly contribution. I convinced my partner we view the plots, by the way that time we were living together somewhere in Eastlands as young employees. I was very happy now that Njoki accepted our proposal to pay a deposit of 40k for the plots and the balance in 22 installments of 5k per month, a similar amount to the Sacco contribution. That time our core business was farming…which we did for 3 seasons to some disastrous results. It is at the end of the 3rd Season while licking our wounds that we decided to check out our plots in the woods only to be shocked by developments around there and the appreciation from 140k to around 600k, all in about 3 years. That very day, a business idea which is destined to culminate into a massive empire was born. After all, why bother thinking so much when an opportunity was right there before our very eyes.

That very day, I remembered Njoki and thanked God for having met her; I actually convinced myself she held my good omens. I called her and she confirmed that she quit the company she used to work for and set up a selling agency for properties. We set up a meeting with her coz I knew she held some keys to our new thoughts and line of business. She never disappoints. By the end of that meeting, we were very knowledgeable and wise fellows regarding matters real estate; information for free. I knew that she had to be part of our team; after all she knew what we did not know. If there is anyone who taught us the ropes of real estate, it is her…..wait…if there is anyone who has sold about half of all our properties, it is her….wait again…if there is anyone who has seen us grow from business toddlers to a teenager, it is her. Of course we are hoping to grow old in business.

For first timers, please note the following in relation to the above real life story:
1.     No one knows everything, so never come off as a know-it-all. Surround yourself with advisors and mentors who will nurture you to become a better businessman.
2.     Find successful, knowledgeable individuals with whom you share common interests and mutual business goals that see value in working with you for the long-term.
3.     Search for knowledge; be it from professionals within your line of business or those who have been there and done it.
4.     Get some serious mentor….we all need this irrespective of the stage you are in..

More for start-ups in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment