Sunday, October 28, 2012

How To Successfully Achieve Any Goal

Goal setting involves establishing specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time-targeted (S.M.A.R.T) goals. On a personal level, setting goals helps us work towards our own objectives—in all aspects of life (spiritual, health, family, career, business, financial-based goals etc). Goal setting is therefore an effective tool for making progress by ensuring that you are clearly aware of what you want in life. "Goals provide a sense of direction and purpose" (Goldstein, 1994, p. 96).  

Without goals, many people live life adrift thinking that life happens to them, instead of taking control and directing their lives towards a certain direction. When I was in Second Year of High School, I made a decision I wanted to become a scientist, and therefore needed to join in the university. I wrote my goal down under the cover of my every note book in school. I studied hard despite being in a "not well performing secondary school". I went out of my way, learning ahead of the teachers to finish the syllabus especially for sciences and mathematics, as the system never used to cover the syllabus. Come the National 4th Year Examination, I passed, and was granted a government scholarship to study in one of the Kenyan public university. That time, there was no parallel-degree programs offered in the four public universities in the country. There was only few very-expensive private universities. So, if you came from a peasant background and didn't make it to the cut-off mark, you were basically locked out of the tertiary education system. 

As I write this post, I am scheduled to defend my PhD by the end of next month. I think that attaining a PhD is a peak in my career advancement, which has set me on a path of becoming a great scientist.

That is the power of goal setting. It starts with knowing what you want. Once you know what you want, realise that God has already given you the ability to become, attain, achieve, acquire that. A person with a goal is quickly able to identify opportunities when they come his way. "Goal setting capitalize on the human brain's amazing powers: Our brains are problem-solving, goal-achieving machines. "Napoleon Hill said "Whatever the mind can conceive, and believe, the mind can achieve". 

"Goals convert the strategic objectives into specific performance targets. Effective goals clearly state what, when, and who and are specifically measurable." 

On the side, my wife and I have been pursuing another goal: To promote Financial Education for Poverty Eradication in Africa (reason behind this blog and facebook page), alongside another personal goal: To create a total of X USD in passive income per month that can give me the lifestyle I want even without working by the age of forty five. This means, once I achieve this goal, I can retire the following day, if I want to. Do you get my meaning?

As you watch the video below, let me ask you, what are your life goals?



Download a FREE on How to Successfully Achieve Any Goal.pdf courtesy Personal Excellence.

In the next post, we shall look at "That Millionaire next door".

No comments:

Post a Comment